At The Arc, we focus on Opportunity.
Opportunities for the people we support and opportunities for the fantastic staff who work to make a positive difference, solve challenging problems, and help people with a disability thrive. We work hard to find and retain the best talent, and it shows in our culture of caring.
“Help others achieve their dreams and you will achieve yours.”
– Les Brown
Discover your potential with a career that changes lives
and expands opportunities.
Our vision is equity and access for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. We strive for people with a disability to be fully included in the community where they live, and Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) are at the forefront of that transformative work. DSPs work in residential homes, the workplace, and in the community. Depending on who they support, Direct Support Professionals can help people with a disability with their day-to-day personal needs, cooking healthy meals, accessing medical care, with employment support, or social activities. Imagine heading off to work, knowing that you will make a positive difference. Imagine building your career while creating a stronger community. If you choose to come work at The Arc, you’ll be part of a team of professionals with a commitment to equity, inclusion, and purpose.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, such as GED
- Valid Maryland Driver’s License with 2 or fewer points
- Must have reliable transportation. Ability to transport people with a personal vehicle may be a requirement for some positions
- Prior experience working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities is beneficial but not required
- All candidates must pass a pre-employment drug screening and background check
New employees will attend orientation and training at The Arc. Below is a sample of trainings all DSPs will receive, schedule will be customized based on position.
- Welcome to The Arc Orientation
- CPR / First Aid / AED Certification
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Behavioral Support Training (Mandt)
- Medication Technician (for certain DSP positions only)
- Choking Prevention & Dysphagia Diets (for certain DSP positions only)
- Online Training Courses (related to supporting people with disabilities)
All Part-Time and Full-Time employees receive PTO, accrue sick leave, and are eligible for direct deposit and the Employee Referral Program.
Benefits available to Full-Time employees include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits packages with coverage beginning 30 days after the date of hire
- Paid holidays, vacation time, family leave, and bereavement leave
- Basic Life Insurance and Long Term Disability provided by The Arc with numerous other voluntary insurance options available
- A retirement savings plan with matching contributions by The Arc
- Ongoing employee appreciation events and training opportunities
- Membership to The Arc and the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals (NADSP)
Where are positions located?
The Arc supports people throughout Anne Arundel County and the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
What are the typical hours or shifts available?
Typical shifts include:
- Weekday Evenings
- Weekday Awake Overnight
- Every Weekend (Half Day or Full Day)
- Every Other Weekend (Full Day)
For a full list of available positions and specific hours, please see our current job openings.
Do you offer any weekday daytime positions?
Positions in our Workforce Development division are frequently Monday through Friday during the day.
Some limited positions may be available in Living Options & Services (Community Living and Personal Supports) during the day; however, no guarantee is made to the availability of any shift or position.
Do you offer any on-call positions?
At this time, we do not have any PRN / on-call roles available. Candidates with open availability 24/7 who are interested are encouraged to apply to any open Community Support Specialist positions.
What is the difference between a Community Support Assistant and a Personal Support Assistant? Which should I apply to?
Community Support Assistants (CSAs) work in homes owned by The Arc with one to four people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. CSAs typically work a set shift each week in one location under a Team Leader. You should apply to this position if you are looking to build a relationship with a few people and work as a member of a team, with a consistent schedule.
Personal Support Assistants (PSAs) work one-on-one with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, usually living in their own home or their family’s home. While a PSA works a set schedule each week, the schedule is determined by the needs of the person supported and may range from a few hours a week to a full-time role. You should apply to this position if you are looking to work closely with one person as a part of their support network, and are looking for a role with a non-traditional schedule.
For more information, please read the full job description for each role in our current job openings.
Are there opportunities for growth and advancement?
The Arc believes strongly in the continued growth of its employees and seeks to support anyone who is interested in moving into a new role. Following six months of successful employment, all employees are encouraged to apply for any open positions which interest them.
What is a Direct Support Professional?
A Direct Support Professional or DSP actively support person(s) with intellectual and developmental disabilities in maximizing their independence, self-advocacy, and decision making in the community, at home, or work.
The Arc CCR is an EEO/AA Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 410.269.1883 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. View more information on our commitment to equal employment opportunity.